Gabrielle Coco Chanel – Did You Know This?
1. Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel was the daughter of an unwed mother named Eugènie Jeanne Devolle.
2.When Gabrielle was only 11 years old her mother died of bronchitis leaving 5 children.
3. Chanel was taught sewing at the convent of Aubazine and her first job was as a seamstress.
4. The ‘little black dress’ is often described as one of Chanel’s contributions to fashion together with her iconic quilted leather handbag. The outside stitched quilted design is said to have been influenced by the jackets worn by jockeys.
5. The Chanel couture business enterprise by 1935 was employing 4,000 people.
6. Chanel died on 10 January 1971, aged 87 years old, at the Hotel Ritz where she had lived for more than 30 years.