10 Amazing Eiffel Tower Facts
1. There are 30 replica Eiffel Towers around the world.
2. Inventor Franz Reichelt died by jumping from the Tower when testing a parachute that he had designed.
3. The Eiffel Tower is the most visited of all the paid monuments in the world.
4. It was built as a temporary structure for the 1889 Exposition Universalle and was mean to be taken down at the conclusion of the Exposition.
5. It would take 40 years before another building topped the 1,000 foot high Tower. In 1929 the Chrysler Building in New York became the tallest building in the world.
6. During WWII the lift cables were cut so that Hitler had to climb the stairs if he wanted to reach the top.
7. Gusteave Eiffel hosted a party for 50 friends in his luxurious apartment at the top of the Tower on the last evening of the Paris World Fair. He often slept and held office in his apartment during the construction stage.
8. 1665 steps are needed to climb all the way to the top of the Eiffel Tower.
9. 300 workers, 18,038 pieces of wrought iron and 2.5 million rivets were needed to build the Tower.
10. The height of the Tower varies by as much as 15cm due to temperature changes.
Read more about the amazing story of Gustave Eiffel here, there is much more to his story than just the Eiffel Tower! Did you already know some of these facts? For more facts and info why not follow us on Twitter and Facebook… see you there Annette
PIN FOR LATER